Founded in 1953, Beaumaris Theatre Inc. aims to produce quality, innovative and sustainable live theatre for both the local and the broader community while encouraging the development of skills and knowledge and an appreciation of the art of theatre.
Beaumaris Theatre is committed to using its place in the community to provide a source of intellectual and cultural vitality. By its involvement within collaborative frameworks, it seeks to be identified as a positive resource in creating a better community.
Beaumaris Theatre usually stages four shows a year, with a planned mix to appeal to all segments of the community. Productions include comedies, dramas, revues, farces and family shows.
LBill and Angela Martin moved from England to Beaumaris with their young family in the 1950s when it was a very new suburb and one favoured by artistes. The Martin's made their new home at grandiose Talbot House, 28 Cromer Road Beaumaris. Bill and Angela were thespians and Angela missed her performing so her husband Bill built her a theatrette in the attic of their home in 1953. It housed about twenty audience members and had a small stage and dressing room. Angela and her friends performed English comedies for their friends and the proceeds went to charity. The ladies would wear fur coats and jewels and the gentlemen would wear dinner suits and there would be a lavish supper to follow the performance.
The events were extremely popular and demand for tickets far exceeded the space available so the Martins along with other members of the Beaumaris Players worked very hard to have the theatre space we now know in Wells Road purpose built to cater for larger audiences. For 60 years now an illustrious troupe of thespians from all walks of life and various backgrounds have been treading the prestigious boards laid by Bill and Angela way back when…