Back in the Day

Have you ever wondered how the Talbot Tattler or Talbot Awards received their name?

IMG_3467[1].JPG

Bill and Angela Martin moved from England to Beaumaris with their young family in the 1950s when it was a very new suburb and one favoured by artistes. The Martin's made their new home at grandiose Talbot House, 28 Cromer Road Beaumaris. Bill and Angela were thespians and Angela missed her performing so her husband Bill built her a theatrette in the attic of their home in 1953. It housed about twenty audience members and had a small stage and dressing room. Angela and her friends performed English comedies for their friends and the proceeds went to charity.  The ladies would wear fur coats and jewels and the gentlemen would wear dinner suits and there would be a lavish supper to follow the performance.

IMG_3468[1].JPG

The events were extremely popular and demand for tickets far exceeded the space available so the Martins along with other members of the Beaumaris  Players worked very hard to have the theatre space we now know in Wells Road purpose built to cater for larger audiences. For 60 years now an illustrious troupe of thespians from all walks of life and various backgrounds have been treading the prestigious boards laid by Bill and Angela way back when…